RULES OF CONDUCT FOR PATRONS OF THE HORNELL PUBLIC LIBRARY
All library users are encouraged and expected to respect the rights of others who use our facility. The following rules of conduct have been established to assure the health, safety, and comfort of our patrons and staff and protect property.
- Engaging in any conduct that disrupts or interferes with the normal operation of the Library, or that disturbs staff or other Library visitors, is not allowed.
- For the protection of our valuable collection and the cleanliness of our beautiful facility, Eating Food is Prohibited within the Library. Drinks are permitted in the library if they are in a sealed tight container or contain a top or lid. Food may be permitted at special library-sponsored events.
- Weapons of any kind are not permitted on library property.
- Any action that damages library property is prohibited.
- Shirts and shoes are required, as well as appropriate hygiene – Patrons may be required to leave the library if their personal hygiene interferes with the orderly operation of the Library or with the ability of other patrons to use and enjoy the facility.
- The Library’s restrooms are to be used for their intended purpose – bathing, shaving, or laundering clothes is not permitted.
- The Library is not responsible for the loss of patrons’ personal property. Unattended backpacks, luggage, or packages are subject to search.
- Young children under the age of 8 must be accompanied by an adult, and supervised at all times.
- Smoking, sleeping, loitering and/or soliciting are not permitted on the Library premises.
- Unlawful, disorderly, disruptive, hazardous or inappropriate public behavior is prohibited.
- Cell phone conversations are discouraged in the Library.
- Certified guide or assistance animals are permitted in the library if appropriately identified by wearing vest and proper papers. For the health and safety of our patrons, no other animals are permitted on the premises without special permission. Therapy dogs are allowed if they have gone through all the necessary training, and are invited by the Director.
- Patrons must observe all guidelines and regulations governing the use of materials, computers and equipment posted within the Library.
- In the event unacceptable behavior requires action for the safety and comfort of others, a warning will be given. If the behavior continues, a patron may be asked to leave. If there is further resistance, law enforcement will be notified.